School Radon Training & Support System
Plan ahead for 2019-20 testing
43% of Iowa school buildings have tested at or above the EPA’s action level.*
Radon is the leading environmental cause of lung cancer, and it may be in your school. In Iowa radon testing is currently required for Voluntary Preschool Programs for Four-Year-Old Children. Why not make sure ALL of our students, staff and community members are safe? EAIS is here to be your Radon Champion with the School Radon Training & Support System (SRTSS).
GREAT NEWS: EAIS received FY2019 school radon grant funding from the Iowa Cancer Consortium and Iowa Department of Public Health. Matching grants are in the process of being distributed to this year’s 21 school district participants for training and mitigation, if needed. EAIS will be applying for more funding for the FY 2020 year, so stay tuned!
- Save taxpayer dollars by learning to test for radon themselves
- Gain an individualized school radon plan for testing, communication and action
- Benefit from confidential test results tracking
- Receive assistance identifying maintenance and repairs
- Grow from ongoing coaching and support for one year
Training and support cost is based upon school district enrollment size. For most Iowa districts this ranges between $1,900 and $2,900/year (see below). To encourage the continuation of school radon testing rotation schedules, there are discounts for previous participants and current EAIS Energy Members. Because each district needs a different number of test kits discounted commercial radon test kits are separate at $7/each. For quality control purposes kits must be purchased from EAIS at the time of the kickoff workshop.
Tentative dates, times and locations for 2019-20 SRTSS Kickoff Workshops:
- September 25, 2019: Council Bluffs, IA, area
- October 9, 2019: Des Moines, IA, area
- October 23, 2019: Iowa City, IA, area
YEAR 1 (new) SCHOOL DISTRICTS: Each School Radon Team, made up of a facility manager(s) and a superintendent/district spokesperson, is required to participate in one Kickoff Workshop above from 9 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. before testing their own buildings.
YEAR 2, 3 and 4 SCHOOLS: School Radon Teams that started their Radon Testing Rotations in 2015-19 are required to attend a half-day of a Kickoff Workshop from 12 – 2:30 p.m.
Cost/Investment before grant and any applicable discounts:
- $1,900/year + test kits for districts with an enrollment of less than 1,000 students
- $2,900/year + test kits for districts of 1,000 to 3,499 students
- $5,800/year + test kits for districts of 3,500 to 6,999 students
- $11,600/year + test kits for districts of 7,000 to 14,000 students
For additional questions or clarifications, contact EAIS here.
* Source: 2017-18 School Radon Training & Support System initial elevations included in report to the Iowa Cancer Consortium.