School Radon Training & Support System
46% of Iowa school buildings have tested at or above the EPA’s action level.*
Radon is the leading environmental cause of lung cancer, and it may be in your school. In Iowa radon testing is currently required for Voluntary Preschool Programs for Four-Year-Old Children. Why not make sure ALL of our students, staff and community members are safe? EAIS is here to be your Radon Champion with the School Radon Training & Support System (SRTSS).
GREAT NEWS: EAIS has received FY2019 school radon grant funding from the Iowa Cancer Consortium and Iowa Department of Public Health! This means the following is available for the first approximately 21 school districts to sign up: $1000 for new participants and $500/$250 for repeat schools toward training and test kits + access to a $10,500 mitigation assistance grant pool to be shared by all participating school districts as needed. All grant recipients are required to send a school radon team to one Kickoff Workshop and test at least one building.
- Save taxpayer dollars by learning to test for radon themselves
- Gain an individualized school radon plan for testing, communication and action
- Benefit from confidential test results tracking
- Receive assistance identifying maintenance and repairs
- Grow from ongoing coaching and support for one year
Costs are based upon school district enrollment size. For most Iowa districts this ranges between $1,900 and $2,900/year. To encourage the continuation of school radon testing rotation schedules, there are discounts for previous participants and current EAIS Energy Members. Discounted commercial radon test kits are separate at $7/each.
Dates, times and locations for our 2018-19 SRTSS Kickoff Workshops are:
- September 26, 2018: Osceola, IA, Southwestern Community College
- October 10, 2018: Burlington, IA, Great Prairie Area Education Agency
- October 24, 2018: Cedar Rapids, IA, Grant Wood Area Education Agency
- October 31, 2018: Fort Dodge, IA, Iowa Central Community College
YEAR 1 (new) SCHOOL DISTRICTS: Each School Radon Team, made up of a facility manager(s) and a superintendent/district spokesperson, is required to participate in one Kickoff Workshop above from 9 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. before testing their own buildings.
YEAR 2, 3 and 4 SCHOOLS: School Radon Teams that started their Radon Testing Rotations in 2015-18 are required to attend a half-day of a Kickoff Workshop from 12 – 2:30 p.m.
To make sure your school district is one of the 21 receiving grant dollars to participate, please register by September 21, 2018. REGISTER TODAY
For questions or clarifications, contact EAIS here.
* Source: 2016-17 School Radon Training & Support System 4th Quarter Report to the Iowa Cancer Consortium.
The Iowa School Radon Training and Support System© is a hybrid created specifically for schools to use as a guide, based upon information from:
1) United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Radon Measurement in Schools: Revised Edition (1993); 2) Iowa Department of Public Health Radon Testing Protocols for Iowa Child Care Centers (2014); 3) EPA Managing Radon in Schools (2010); 4) ANSI-AARST MALB 2014 Protocol for Conducting Measurements of Radon and Radon Decay Products In Schools and Large Buildings, and 5) School Radon Training & Support System experience and school district participant input.
SRTSS collaborators include: Dr. Bill Field, University of Iowa College of Public Health, Gail Orcutt, radon-induced lung cancer survivor; Healthy Homes Radon Education and Consulting; Iowa Cancer Consortium; and the Iowa Department of Public Health.