School Radon Training & Support System
46% of Iowa school buildings have tested at or above the EPA’s action level.*
Radon is the leading environmental cause of lung cancer, and it may be in your school. In Iowa radon testing is currently required for Voluntary Preschool Programs for Four-Year-Old Children. Why not make sure ALL of our students, staff and community members are safe?
EAIS is here to be your Radon Champion with the School Radon Training & Support System (SRTSS). Participants:
- Save taxpayer dollars by learning to test for radon themselves
- Gain an individualized school radon plan for testing, communication and action
- Benefit from confidential test results tracking
- Receive assistance identifying maintenance and repairs
- Grow from ongoing coaching and support for one year
Program costs are between $1,900 and $11,600 based upon school district enrollment size. To encourage the continuation of school radon testing rotation schedules, there are discounts for previous participants and EAIS energy members. Discounted commercial radon test kits are separate at $7/each.
TENTATIVE Dates, times and locations for our 2018-19 SRTSS Kickoff Workshops are:
- September 26, 2018: Osceola, IA
- October 10, 2018: Fairfield, IA
- October 25, 2018: Sioux City, IA
- November 14, 2018: Cedar Rapids, IA
YEAR 1 (new) SCHOOL DISTRICTS: Each School Radon Team, made up of a facility manager(s) and a superintendent/district spokesperson, is required to participate in one Kickoff Workshop above from 9 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. before testing their own buildings.
YEAR 2, 3 and 4 SCHOOLS: School Radon Teams who started their Radon Testing Rotations in 2015-18 are required to attend a half-day of a Kickoff Workshop from 12 – 2:30 p.m.
In 2017-18, matching grants of $1000 per school district and access to a $9000 shared mitigation assistance fund were given to Iowa schools, thanks to the Iowa Cancer Consortium and the Iowa Department of Public Health. Year 2 funding has been applied for, and EAIS hopes to hear if funding will be received for FY2019 by August. Stay tuned for more information about the grants, as well as how to register.
For more information, contact EAIS here.
* Source: 2016-17 School Radon Training & Support System 4th Quarter Report to the Iowa Cancer Consortium.
The Iowa School Radon Training and Support System© is a hybrid created specifically for schools to use as a guide, based upon information from:
1) United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Radon Measurement in Schools: Revised Edition (1993); 2) Iowa Department of Public Health Radon Testing Protocols for Iowa Child Care Centers (2014); 3) EPA Managing Radon in Schools (2010); 4) ANSI-AARST MALB 2014 Protocol for Conducting Measurements of Radon and Radon Decay Products In Schools and Large Buildings, and 5) School Radon Training & Support System experience and school district participant input.
SRTSS collaborators include: Dr. Bill Field, University of Iowa College of Public Health, Gail Orcutt, radon-induced lung cancer survivor; Healthy Homes Radon Education and Consulting; Iowa Cancer Consortium; and the Iowa Department of Public Health.