The energy part of Energy Association of Iowa Schools’ (EAIS) services has a small and equitable yearly membership cost of $1 per student served (minimum dues = $500). After schools join, they see a positive difference with the EAIS 5-Step Energy Champion Process.
Energy Efficiency in Iowa Schools
With valuable unbiased information, building-specific energy coaching, facilities manager professional development, and helpful connections, EAIS and member schools collaborate to:
- Identify priority energy conservation projects that improve school buildings, reduce electricity/kilowatt hour usage and natural gas/therm usage, and save General Fund dollars.
- Benefit from economies of scale and sharing professional services. There is no need to pay individually for basic energy services, training and information.
- Regionally and/or virtually offer energy team and facility operator training to save out-of-district time and mileage.
- Pay attention for new rebate, program and grant opportunities.
- Enable school budget dollars to refocus on student learning instead of utility bills.
- EAIS does not sell any energy equipment or products.
Examples of EAIS Supports and Energy Accomplishments
- Wrote and received matching state lighting grants for 11 member schools that ranged from $2,707 to $16,500 each. Resulting energy improvements are saving each improved building up to $2,721 annually in electric costs.
- Enabled $162,529 to be contributed to the Iowa economy through the above lighting projects.
- Saved Iowa schools and taxpayers $79,616 in upfront project costs with grants.
- Provided coaching and training on topics such as COVID-19 ventilation, boiler maintence, HVAC, lighting, new construction, wind turbines, potential solar projects and more.
- Facilitated energy-related, regional facilities manager workshops that resulted in 100% of participants agreeing the overall benefit of knowledge gained was between “satisfactory” and “excellent.”