,School Radon Training & Support System
Register for 2019-20 participation
Grant funding available for training and mitigation!
WHY TEST FOR RADON?
Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers, and it may be in your school. In Iowa radon testing is currently required for Preschool Programs licensed by DHS. Why not make sure ALL of your students, staff and community members are safe?
EAIS is here to be your Radon Champion with the School Radon Training & Support System (SRTSS). Participant school districts save taxpayer dollars by receiving the training and support they need to test their school buildings for radon themselves.
Thanks to grant funding from the Iowa Cancer Consortium and Iowa Department of Public Health, matching grants were available to the first approximately 25 school districts to register for the 2019-20 School Radon Training & Support System (SRTSS).
However, ALL MATCHING DOLLARS HAVE ALREADY BEEN AWARDED to proactive Iowa schools for the FY2020 year of grant funding. This means that if your school has not already signed up, or talked to EAIS about signing up for the School Radon Training & Support System (SRTSS), all of our training and support grant funds are gone.
Dates, times and locations for 2019-20 Kickoff Workshops are:
- September 25, 2019: Avoca, IA – Green Hills AEA Regional Office
- October 16, 2019: Marshalltown, IA – Marshalltown Community School District Office
- October 23, 2019: Coralville, IA – University of Iowa BioVentures Building
YEAR 1 (new) SCHOOL DISTRICTS: Each School Radon Team is required to participate in one Kickoff Workshop above from 9 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. before testing their own buildings.
REPEAT SCHOOLS (in years 2, 3, 4 or 5): School Radon Teams that started their Radon Testing Rotations in 2015-19 are required to attend a half-day of a Kickoff Workshop from 12 – 2:30 p.m.
Training and support cost is based upon school district enrollment size. For the majority of Iowa districts this ranges between $1,900 and $2,900/year. To encourage the continuation of school radon testing rotation schedules, there are discounts for previous participants and current EAIS Energy Members. Because each district needs a different number of test kits discounted commercial radon test kits are separate at $7/each. For quality control purposes kits must be purchased from EAIS at the time of the kickoff workshop.
* Source: 2018-19 School Radon Training & Support System initial elevations included in report to the Iowa Cancer Consortium.
1) United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Radon Measurement in Schools: Revised Edition (1993); 2) Iowa Department of Public Health Radon Testing Protocols for Iowa Child Care Centers (2014); 3) EPA Managing Radon in Schools (2010); 4) ANSI-AARST MALB 2014 Protocol for Conducting Measurements of Radon and Radon Decay Products In Schools and Large Buildings, and 5) School Radon Training & Support System experience and school district participant input.
SRTSS collaborators include: Dr. Bill Field, University of Iowa College of Public Health, Gail Orcutt, radon-induced lung cancer survivor; Healthy Homes Radon Education and Consulting; Iowa Cancer Consortium; and the Iowa Department of Public Health.