60 Iowa Schools Already Radon Testing + 2023 Workshops Scheduled
Radon has been proven to cause lung cancer, even in non-smokers. To help prevent lung cancer the Gail Orcutt School Radon Safety Act (Iowa House File 2412), named in memory of EAIS supporter and radon safety advocate Gail Orcutt, is now Iowa law. It requires all Iowa public schools to test for radon every 5 years and to mitigate if elevated levels are found. Who got your back? EAIS got your back!
EAIS has Iowa schools covered with its School Radon Training and Support System (SRTSS). We have been helping schools prevent radon-induced lung cancer in their buildings since 2015. Sixty Iowa public school districts are testing for radon themselves during the winter of 2022-23 with the support of EAIS. With EAIS, school radon testing is easy, inexpensive and worth it. SRTSS is:
- All you need to meet the requirements of the new Iowa School Radon Safety law.
- Training for school teams to learn how to test their own buildings for radon.
- Support through the entire test and fix process
- The ONLY Iowa-based radon training specific to Iowa schools
This process begins by registering for a School Radon Kickoff Workshop. Tentative 2023-24 workshops dates are below. Registration will begin in early summer. Schools leave the workshop with a plan, schedule and test kits, and go home to test their own buildings during the winter with EAIS support. EAIS also provides assistance with the required public reporting. Who got your back? EAIS got your back!
- Sept 13 – Location to be determined soon
- Sept 27 – Location to be determined soon
- Oct 11 – Location to be determined soon
- Oct 25 – Location to be determined soon
- Nov 8 – Location to be determined soon
TIMES for all workshops (Lunch is included for all): New participants/those who have not yet tested their full buildings, and repeat schools with new staff: 9 a.m.. – 2:30 p.m. Repeat participants who began their full building testing between 2015-2023: Noon – 2:30, unless your School Radon Team would like to attend the full day for a full review.
COST is a required basic membership based upon school district enrollment + per building cost based on type (5-year schedule TBD during Kickoff Workshop). Includes radon test kits.
BASIC MEMBERSHIP per year
< 3,000 enrollment = $500
3,000 – 5,999 = $1,000
6,000 – 11,999 = $2,000
12,000 – 23,999 = $3,000
COST PER BUILDING to be TESTED IN 2023-24, determined by school teams during workshop
Elementary = $2,000 each
Intermediate, Junior High, Middle School = $2,500 each
K-12 building, Jr/Sr High, High School = $3,000 each
Other building over 30,000 SF = $1,000 each
Other under 30,000 SF = no additional cost
Check back this summer to register your school’s Radon Team and/or share your contact information on this Interest Form to make sure we contact you when registration opens!
The Iowa School Radon Training and Support System© is a hybrid created specifically for schools to use as a guide, based upon information from:
1) United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Radon Measurement in Schools: Revised Edition (1993); 2) Iowa Department of Public Health Radon Testing Protocols for Iowa Child Care Centers (2014); 3) EPA Managing Radon in Schools (2010); 4) ANSI-AARST MALB 2014 Protocol for Conducting Measurements of Radon and Radon Decay Products In Schools and Large Buildings, and 5) School Radon Training & Support System experience and school district participant input.
SRTSS collaborators include: Dr. Bill Field, University of Iowa College of Public Health, Gail Orcutt, radon-induced lung cancer advocate; Healthy Homes Radon Education and Consulting; Iowa Cancer Consortium; and the Iowa Department of Public Health.