School Radon Training & Support System
Plan ahead for 2019-20 testing
42% of Iowa school buildings have tested at or above the EPA’s action level.*
Be one of the first Iowa school districts to find out when registration and grant details are finalized for the 2019-20 School Radon Training & Support System by sharing your contact information here. You will be under no obligation, this just gives you priority to the training’s limited space. Details are expected to be finalized by the middle of July 2019.
WHY TEST FOR RADON?
Radon is the leading environmental cause of lung cancer, and it may be in your school. In Iowa radon testing is currently required for Preschool Programs licensed by DHS. Why not make sure ALL of your students, staff and community members are safe?
EAIS is here to be your Radon Champion with the School Radon Training & Support System (SRTSS). Participant school districts save taxpayer dollars by receiving the training and support they need to test their school buildings for radon themselves.
Tentative dates, times and locations for 2019-20 are:
- September 25, 2019: Council Bluffs, IA, area
- October 9, 2019: Des Moines, IA, area
- October 23, 2019: Iowa City, IA, area
YEAR 1 (new) SCHOOL DISTRICTS: Each School Radon Team is required to participate in one Kickoff Workshop above from 9 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. before testing their own buildings.
YEAR 2, 3 and 4 SCHOOLS: School Radon Teams that started their Radon Testing Rotations in 2015-19 are required to attend a half-day of a Kickoff Workshop from 12 – 2:30 p.m.
Training and support cost is based upon school district enrollment size. For the majority of Iowa districts this ranges between $1,900 and $2,900/year. To encourage the continuation of school radon testing rotation schedules, there are discounts for previous participants and current EAIS Energy Members. Because each district needs a different number of test kits discounted commercial radon test kits are separate at $7/each. For quality control purposes kits must be purchased from EAIS at the time of the kickoff workshop.
Be one of the first Iowa school districts to find out when registration and grant details are finalized for the 2019-20 SRTSS by sharing your contact information here. For additional questions or clarifications, please contact EAIS.
* Source: 2018-19 School Radon Training & Support System initial elevations included in report to the Iowa Cancer Consortium.
1) United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Radon Measurement in Schools: Revised Edition (1993); 2) Iowa Department of Public Health Radon Testing Protocols for Iowa Child Care Centers (2014); 3) EPA Managing Radon in Schools (2010); 4) ANSI-AARST MALB 2014 Protocol for Conducting Measurements of Radon and Radon Decay Products In Schools and Large Buildings, and 5) School Radon Training & Support System experience and school district participant input.
SRTSS collaborators include: Dr. Bill Field, University of Iowa College of Public Health, Gail Orcutt, radon-induced lung cancer survivor; Healthy Homes Radon Education and Consulting; Iowa Cancer Consortium; and the Iowa Department of Public Health.